Follow this Blog!

Wednesday 15 March 2017

Freedom of Choice

Freedom of Choice

Lent is a time to ponder the wonder of our God who has done so much to restore us to relationship with Him. Lent is a time for self reflection; it is a time that can be very hard on us as who I am is held up against who the I AM created me to be. Remembering who God is (Who is God anyway?), remembering God's Word speaks to us individually; remembering God works in our family, in our community, in our country and throughout the world in every age, remembering all this how then do we read Isaiah? It seems clear that God tends the vineyard. But who is the vineyard God is tending? Isaiah is a prophet of Israel - so an obvious reading reflects God's displeasure with Israel and the consequences of Israel's continued turning away from God. The Church stands with Israel, praying for it's restoration to right relationship with God and for redemption.

But before we get too complacent thinking "Oh its Israel and not me", we hear Christ's words in the Luke reading. Now we must ask, am I bearing the fruit God has commissioned me to produce? Is my family bearing God's fruit? My congregation? My City? My country? Today again God holds up a mirror before us, He speaks plainly and He asks: "Why, when I expected it to produce good grapes did it produce worthless ones?" It is clear that God gives us the freedom to choose Him or rebuke Him; He gives us the freedom to choose to work with Him or against Him. Is it yes or is it no?

The Isaiah Scroll as displayed at the Israel Museum
Today let us pray for our personal restoration, for our family's restoration, for our congregation's restoration, for our city's restoration and for our country's restoration to right relationship in God and for the redemption of all people. Today let us pray that we will finally and truly take our place in the cloud of witness across the ages and step firmly into the place Christ prepared for us in His Church. Today, as we end the second week of Lent, let us pray that Israel and all people hear the voice of the One crying in the wilderness. Let us pray for the courage to be what we were made to be.


"Remember what you have received and heard; and keep it, and repent."

For You have been my help,
And in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy.
My soul clings to You;
Your right hand upholds me.



No comments: