Follow this Blog!

Wednesday 29 March 2017

Then the eyes of the blind will be opened ...

Reading today: Matthew 9:27-34

The ACrossMission team, Cathy and I have just returned from Tanzania. As we traveled through a poverty stricken, drought ridden, dry and weary land I confess I struggled. And as I journey through the season of Lent, I confess I continue to struggle.

The world is not what God created it to be. The Church seems numb to suffering, and prosperity seems quite comfortable in the presence of poverty. Do we worship God only with our lips? I guess if I am really truthful I question my life - my choices shape my life; I am not completely certain however that my choices authentically reflect Jesus. I would like to think they do, but what I see and hear confronts that conclusion.

It is interesting that in the reading today Jesus did not heal the blind men outright - He healed according to each blind man's faith. Their sight was restored to the extent their faith was authentic. They spoke and behaved authentically in harmony with their profession of faith - hence their reality reflected the Kingdom of God and their sight was restored.

This episode is set in juxtaposition to the unbelief of Temple leadership who, despite witnessing proofs, healing and signs (which they had previously demanded) remained blind to God's reality. In fact, their reaction is blasphemy. Counterfeit words and actions revealed discord with their professed faith.

It is easy for us to see the specks in the eyes of the Pharisees, Sadducees, Herodians and Scribes in ancient Israel. It seems easy for us to place them in the lead antagonist roles of Jesus' stories (His parables) of unfaithfulness, corruption and hypocrisy.

But, here is the thing. I fear, given the clear obvious observable condition of God's beloved people, that the modern church member has now inherited and comfortably inhabits those lead roles in Jesus' parables. How else can we explain our neglect of our sisters and brothers? I pray that our blindness will be healed - but I hear Jesus saying our healing will be according to our faith.

My concern is that the western acceptance of our economic growth and accumulation of wealth (often lauded as "Christian prosperity") is in truth an idolatry rationalized by a convenient heresy. Our wealth by its very existence convicts us. We discard Christ and cling to our cash. The Christian Gospel cannot reconcile to the America's Prosperity Ethic as long as poverty exists - it is simply impossible.

When will our blind eyes open? When we truly believe what Jesus says is true and live accordingly. Let them with eyes see.

No comments: