Follow this Blog!

Friday 3 March 2017

The Bible is Awesome ... really ...

The Bible is Awesome ... really ...


Psalm 17

The Bible is a pretty awesome document. We know each word is precisely given to us and preserved for us by God. We also acknowledge that a man (in the case of Psalm 17 David King of Israel) put ink to paper to record these words. So the question is why did Jesus preserve these words for us? Millions of gallons of ink have been used to write millions of documents over thousands of years. Most of the documents are lost or destroyed, yet these, in the Bible, are the ones that remain for us. Why? It is really amazing that we have even these few psalms passed on to us from as many as 3,500 years ago!

So first let's read the psalm below hearing the man who wrote it. What do you hear? How do you react to David when he claims he is found without sin? I have tried to read this generously - but I confess I always ask: Is this the way to talk to God?

Here though we may find a theme of Lent - too often we demand of God, we doubt God, we question God and we expect God to answer to us. Is doubting and questioning God not how Eve fell to sin in the first place?

Next try reading and hear these words as if they come from Christ as He lived among us; as He moves through His ministry on Earth with the Cross looming on the horizon. Can you hear His suffering? I am sure Jesus felt the presence and pressure of our sin; the sin that would torture and kill Him. Yet in Him we hear hope.

Also remember yesterday's story. For some reason Satan believes Jesus (fully God) is in a weakened state, open to temptation and distraction. Satan sees Jesus, God in human form as vulnerable. Satan sees Jesus who "emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness" as his big chance to finally beat God. What does Satan use to achieve that victory? He uses us to beat and kill God. Why?

A prayer of David.

Lord, consider my just cause!
Pay attention to my cry for help! 
Listen to the prayer I sincerely offer!
Make a just decision on my behalf!
Decide what is right!

You have scrutinized my inner motives, you have examined me during the night. You have carefully evaluated me, but you find no sin. I am determined I will say nothing sinful.

As for the actions of people—just as you have commanded, I have not followed in the footsteps of violent men. I carefully obey your commands; I do not deviate from them.

I call to you for you will answer me, O God. Listen to me! Hear what I say!

Accomplish awesome, faithful deeds, you who powerfully deliver those who look to you for protection from their enemies. Protect me as you would protect the pupil of your eye! Hide me in the shadow of your wings! Protect me from the wicked men who attack me, my enemies who crowd around me for the kill. They are calloused; they speak arrogantly. They attack me, now they surround me; they intend to throw me to the ground. He is like a lion that wants to tear its prey to bits, like a young lion crouching in hidden places.

Rise up, Lord!
Confront him!
Knock him down!
Use your sword to rescue me from the wicked man!
Lord, use your power to deliver me from these murderers, from the murderers of this world! 

They enjoy prosperity; you overwhelm them with the riches they desire. They have many children, and leave their wealth to their offspring.

As for me, because I am innocent I will see your face;when I awake you will reveal yourself to me.

Dear God we pray for the humble surrendered heart and mind that can know, receive and rest in Your Love. By the power of the Holy Spirit and in Jesus Name we pray. Amen

No comments: